Court Home Court Divisions & Operations General Court Information Criminal Court Civil Court Orphans' Court Jury Service Self Help Court Opinions Court Rules Interpretation Services Contact The Court Disclaimer
Child Custody Self Help
Northampton County Court of Common Pleas

If you are a mother or father seeking to file an initial custody complaint and you live in Northampton County, you can prepare your own custody papers by going to:

By answering easy-to-follow questions on a computer, you can create all of the documents you need to file for custody. You will also get easy-to-follow instructions on how to file your papers and prepare your case for court. (Note: These forms may not be appropriate for all families. Please check the website for more details. This service is offered to low-income parents by North Penn Legal Services.

After completing all questions, proceed to print your documents. Sign and date where indicated.

NEXT, you must take your completed petition to Motions Court (Courtroom #4), on any weekday for a Judge’s signature. You must sign in by 8:45 a.m. and your packet must include the following:

  1. A completed, signed and dated Complaint for Custody
  2. A scheduling Order for the Judge to sign.
  3. Pretrial Statements for Plaintiff and Defendant
  4. A completed criminal record and abuse history verification form.
  5. A Co-parent education program form
  6. A certificate of service to be completed after you serve the other party.
    NOTE: If you are filing an In Forma Pauperis form (waiving filing fee), this form must also be completed/signed and dated with your financial information.

If the Judge signs your petition, proceed to the Prothonotary’s Office to file your petition. There will be a filing fee-the current fee is $160.25 (subject to change without notice).

Further information may be found at regarding modifications and contempt or you can visit the law library.

Tracking address: Tracking code - do not email: (do not email this address - tracking purposes only)